Monday, October 22, 2012

Breaking Down The Istanbul Elite Eight



ISTANBUL, Turkey - The eight competitors at the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships - Istanbul 2012 were divided up into their two round robin groups at the official draw ceremony on Sunday, with play set to begin at the $4.9-million year-end finale on Tuesday. Here's how everyone stacks up...

Watch live action from Istanbul on WTA Live powered by TennisTV!

RED GROUP: Azarenka, Williams, Kerber, Li...

(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR)
~ '12 Titles: 6 - Sydney, Australian Open, Doha, Indian Wells, Beijing, Linz
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: Won Australian Open
~ Fall record: 13-0 (and 26-0 in sets)
~ H2H vs group: 1-10 vs Williams, 2-0 vs Kerber, 4-4 vs Li
~ Quote: "Every match here will be tough - I obviously have great champions in the group. It's challenging, definitely, but I'm looking forward to it."

(3) Serena Williams (USA)
~ '12 Titles: 6 - Charleston, Madrid, Wimbledon, Stanford, Olympics, US Open
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: Won Wimbledon & US Open
~ Fall record: 0-0
~ H2H vs group: 10-1 vs Azarenka, 1-1 vs Kerber, 5-1 vs Li
~ Quote: "I don't really care who I play or when I play, as long as I can play. I'm really happy to be here. I'm on the red side with Victoria, so it'll be good."

(5) Angelique Kerber (GER)
~ '12 Titles: 2 - Paris [Indoors], Copenhagen
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: SFs at Wimbledon
~ Fall record: 4-2
~ H2H vs group: 0-2 vs Azarenka, 1-1 vs Williams, 1-5 vs Li
~ Quote: "It doesn't matter which group you're in, it's not easy - we're the best eight players, and every match will be hard. But it's an honor for me to be here. I'll enjoy every match. It's a bonus after such a great year. When I started this year I wasn't thinking about No.5 or being here, so this is a great highlight."

(8) Li Na (CHN)
~ '12 Titles: 1 - Cincinnati
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: 4r at Australian Open & French Open
~ Fall record: 5-2
~ H2H vs group: 4-4 vs Azarenka, 1-5 vs Williams, 5-1 vs Kerber
~ Quote: "It doesn't matter which group you're in, everyone's tough. Only the Top 8 players play this tournament. It's a good challenge for yourself."

WHITE GROUP: Sharapova, Radwanska, Kvitova, Errani...

(2) Maria Sharapova (RUS)
~ '12 Titles: 3 - Stuttgart, Rome, French Open
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: Won French Open
~ Fall record: 7-2
~ H2H vs group: 7-2 vs Radwanska, 4-2 vs Kvitova, 1-0 vs Errani
~ Quote: "When you're coming here you pretty much know what you're going to get in terms of the level of the group. With the field we have, I think every match, no matter what group you're in, will be pretty tough from the get go."

(4) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)
~ '12 Titles: 3 - Dubai, Miami, Brussels
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: R-Up at Wimbledon
~ Fall record: 6-2
~ H2H vs group: 2-7 vs Sharapova, 0-3 vs Kvitova, 5-1 vs Errani
~ Quote: "It's the eight best players in the world, so there's no easy group and no easy match - but I'll have a good couple of matches, I hope."

(6) Petra Kvitova (CZE)
~ '12 Titles: 2 - Montréal, New Haven
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: SFs at Australian Open & French Open
~ Fall record: 1-2
~ H2H vs group: 2-4 vs Sharapova, 3-0 vs Radwanska, 3-0 vs Errani
~ Quote: "You can't choose who can be in your group. All eight players are great players who have had a great season. I'll try my best. I remember the great support I got last year. I'm looking forward to being on the court again."

(7) Sara Errani (ITA)
~ '12 Titles: 4 - Acapulco, Barcelona, Budapest, Palermo
~ Best Grand Slam result in 2012: R-Up at French Open
~ Fall record: 2-2
~ H2H vs group: 0-1 vs Sharapova, 1-5 vs Radwanska, 0-3 vs Kvitova
~ Quote: "Of course it's a tough group - both groups are tough, and the players are strong. We will see how it goes. I'll just try to play my best game, singles and doubles - it's amazing for me to be here."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...